Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Korea (was RE: ?)

From: robmccau () RADONC DUKE EDU (Rob McCauley)
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 18:23:11 -0500

What you seems to be saying is that if your neighbours house and their
door is wide open in the middle of the night, you should just move along.
I'd sure stick my head in and ask if everything is allright.

No, not really.  If you telnet in and get a root shell you've already
established that things are very likely not alright.  The door's
wide open and apparently forced.  Depending on the jurisdiction, what
you've probably done is stumbled onto a crime scene.  The appropriate
thing to do, IMHO, is alert the owners and/or the correct
authorities.  Poking around someone else's computer systems, on which
you are presumably not an authorized user[0], only adds to the work of
those who will eventually have to investigate by obscuring the trail, much
like going through your neighbor's house after its been robbed might
destroy evidence and WILL add evidence that you've been there as
well.  The prior post indicating that this makes you look like the
attacker is correct.  Doing this on certain systems, particularly
government or military where you're within the jurisdiction of either, is
probably a Really Bad Idea.

It'd be interesting to know (I don't) if any evidence collected would
retain any value if there were a chain of people who could have modified
it before the legitimate SA could preserve it.

In summary, no, don't just move along.  Do make sure your neighbors and/or
the authorities if appropriate know there's been a break in as soon as
you're able, but don't make their jobs harder by inappropriate
"helping".  If you want to help, notify them and offer assistance, but let
them choose.  System owners have a right to control access to their
systems, and I don't believe the fact that someone destroyed the technical
implementation of those controls removes that right.

[0] - I don't buy the argument that an open port is an invitation,
especially when the open port is obviously a back door.  I hope most here
would agree that a root shell back door is almost never placed by the
admin.  We're not talking about web servers here.

Rob

--
Rob McCauley
Radiation Oncology