Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Korea (was RE: ?)

From: nexus () PATROL I-WAY CO UK (JJ Gray)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:16:53 -0000

Hi folks,
    Hmmm, might possibly be an ethical question but it's not really a legal
one - if you are dropped straight to a prompt with no terms and conditions
of use, statements of authorised users only and the like then the chances of
legal action would be almost non-existant IMHO.   I don't see how connecting
to an internet visible computer & port is illegal in itself and the comment
on condoning cracking is a little harsh don't you think ?   Extrapolating
that argument would result in connecting to a web server on port 80 being
regarded as cracking ????   Where do you draw the line ?   I regularly see
in my firewall logs that various mailservers, DNS servers and the like are
pinging me - is this scanning ?   Is this legal ? *shrug*
I decide what I consider benign or aggressive behaviour on percieved intent,
not specific action.

Just my two penneth ;-)

Regards,
            JJ