Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Has anyone else seen/encountered the "VBS.Network" virus? Ijust did.

From: jcrooks () CDNX CA (James Crooks)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 16:41:18 -0800

messages to this list with subject: "Lame Windows Worm" from Chris Benton Saturday and a reply Monday from .sozmi
contain the (harmless) ASCII text version of the worm Symantek/NAV call the VBS.Network virus. For some reason, the
"harmless"
text in the message body triggered the NAV5.0 (NT) virus response... It happend to me in my Netscape Inbox (filesize at
the time was around 61megabytes - yeah I really do have to clean it up sometime) and it took a while to figure out what
was triggering NAV and isolating the source. I consider the fact that NAV detected the harmless virus code in ASCII
email body to be admirable, but still a bug... I even downloaded a fresher NAV virus definitions to see if they had put
in a
fix, but no joy...  It's really quite an ingenious DOS attack!

Answers to your other questions follow below...

/jc

Olaf Black wrote:

Hello all:

Norton Antivirus just popped up an alert indicating that it had found a file:

C:\Windows\TEMP\tmpB214.TMP

That had been infected with the "VBS.Network" virus.

Norton first asked me if I wanted to repair the file.  Since this was the "recommended" procedure from Norton, I went
ahead and let NAV attempt to repair the file.

NAV then came back and told me that the file could not be repaired,

no doubt it couldn't be repaired, since it's normal home is as a "macro" in some kind of document file (MS Word, etc.)

and that the next "recommended" course of action would be to "quarantine" the file so I went ahead and NAV came back
and said that it successfully quarantined the file.

With that, I have some questions.

What is the "VBS.Network" virus?  What does it do exactly?

The message "Lame Windows Worm" analyzed the operation of the virus (you'll probably have to turn NAV off to look at it)

What does "quarantining" an infected file do?  Does it mean a file is moved off into a "safe" directory and modified
in some way?

Moved to solitary confinement, with the file name probably modified so it can't be run/read by normal programs.

Thanks,

Olaf

Welcome - /jc

--
James Crooks BScCS I.S.P. CISSP, Technical Consultant-Technology
Canadian Venture Exchange 604-643-6568 FAX 604-643-6563

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/x-pkcs7-signature attachment: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
</UL>