Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Has anyone else seen/encountered the "VBS.Network" virus? I just did.

From: Robert.Graham () NETWORKICE COM (Robert Graham)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:12:58 -0800

Network.vbs is a worm that copies itself through File and Print Sharing.

"Repair" removes the virus from the file. Remember: a virus attachs itself
to existing files; so repair undoes this. In your case, it isn't a virus but
a worm, so removing the virus would remove the file, which it cannot do.

"Quarantine" encrypts the file. The file still exists, but has been weakly
encrypted so that it is no longer a valid file. This means you can
un-quarantine at any time and you don't lose a file due to false positives.

I somebody could send me a copy of this file; I would really appreciate it.
I would love to run it and create a network-based intrusion detection
signature for our product.

Regards,
Robert Graham
CTO/Network ICE