Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Idiotic question

From: bugtraq () NETWORKICE COM (Robert Graham)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 16:33:32 -0800

This is likely part of TCP MTU discovery. Fragmentation is more efficient at
the TCP layer, so the TCP stack attempts to discover the "path MTU" -- the
largest IP packet that can travel end-to-end. TCP machines send out packets
with the DF (Don't Fragment) bit set, then listen for intervening routers
that can't forward the packet.

For example, your TCP connection might send out a 1500 byte packet (max
Ethernet size), but some router in Taiwan has a serial link that has an
maximum packet size of 576 bytes. Because your machine has set the DF bit,
the router cannot fragment it. It will instead send back the ICMP packet
that you saw.

This is perfectly normal.

BTW, this ICMP packet is the only one that is strictly necessary to allow
through firewalls.

Robert Graham

PS: http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/firewall-seen.html#2.3.4