Security Incidents mailing list archives

Has anyone else seen/encountered the "VBS.Network" virus? I just did.

From: olaf_black () HOTMAIL COM (Olaf Black)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 01:22:18 -0600

Hello all:

Norton Antivirus just popped up an alert indicating that it had found a file:

C:\Windows\TEMP\tmpB214.TMP

That had been infected with the "VBS.Network" virus.

Norton first asked me if I wanted to repair the file.  Since this was the "recommended" procedure from Norton, I went
ahead and let NAV attempt to repair the file.

NAV then came back and told me that the file could not be repaired, and that the next "recommended" course of action
would be to "quarantine" the file so I went ahead and NAV came back and said that it successfully quarantined the file.

With that, I have some questions.

What is the "VBS.Network" virus?  What does it do exactly?  What does "quarantining" an infected file do?  Does it mean
a file is moved off into a "safe" directory and modified in some way?

Thanks,

Olaf