Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: What's this a probe for?

From: bugtraq () NETWORKICE COM (Robert Graham)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 17:10:51 -0800

I don't think so, but I think it is related.

The DDoS floods came from Sun servers that were compromised by RPC services
like cmsd, toolktalk, statd, etc. These services usually run on dynamically
assigned port numbers, and you discover which by sending a request to the
portmapper service at port 111.

However, Sun machine start allocating their dynamic port assignments at
around 32771. A probe for 32773 means that the hacker is hoping that you (or
others in your address range have a sun workstation, and that the exploit
he/she is scanning for runs at port 32773. On my machine, cachefsd is
running at that port. I am not aware of any attacks against that service. My
guess is that on the hacker's machine, cmsd is running at that port, and
he/she is scanning the Internet for similarly configured machines.

Robert Graham