Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Source of attack: Russian nuclear facility?

From: Vitaly Osipov <vos () TELENOR CZ>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 12:54:45 +0200

Heh, there is a Russian saying meaning "a fear has too big eyes" - sorry I
am not a linguist and cannot translate it correctly. Seems like you just
been hacked through some common hole in php-sql scripts (for example, not
quoting arguments passed to sql queries - most common one) by some student
from Obninsk. Actually there are other people living there, not only bad
nuclear guys :) And the network obninsk.com belongs to local phone operator
(maybe i am mistaken, but it does not seems like this). Btw, there are no
bears in Moscow too :)

btw, I did not found any "iate.obninsk.com" hostname... anyway that phrase
about large warez collection agrees with a "student hacker" idea.  Try to do
the easiest way - contact the persons from RIPE/Networsolutions records.

regards,
Vitaly.