Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Source of attack: Russian nuclear facility?

From: Pavel Lozhkin <pauel () BALAKOVO RU>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 07:25:42 +0400

I tried a few DNS servers, and still can not resolve iate.obninsk.com, so
probably providing an IP and snippet of the logs will be more effective in
teh future.

IATE in the obninsk - it is Institute of Atomic Power (it is just abbreviate on the
Russian "Institut ATomnoi Energetiki" ).I have learned there,but when i learning,
this institute have'nt any internet connections as well - it were a lot years ago

In the case of obninsk.com, here is the whois record:

I strongly reccomend to you send mail to detected IP addresses contact,no domain
contact
But will useful to send mail to abuse () obninsk com too

Registrant:
JSC Elecs, Kaluga (OBNINSK-DOM)
   38, Teatralnaya st.
   Kaluga, 248600
   RU

I wish you luck.  Please don't jump to conclusions so fast next time.

P.S.  Yes, I do speak, read and understand Russian, and yes, my X is
configured to grok Russian character encoding, so yes, I am qualified to
tell you that it is NOT a nuclear plant.

I too..... in the Obninsk right now we have'nt any nuclear plant as well........
There we had only a many instituts and students,who have a good skill level in the
hacking ;)

--
** The hedgehog is a proud bird, he does not fly without kick **

Pauel
System administrator
ICQ UIN 39596913 8990192
Phone (7-84570)-52525
      (7-84570)-40658

Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.