Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: HELO/EHLP attack?.

From: "Michal 'CeFeK' Nazarewicz" <cefek () CAREER PL>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:53:21 +0200

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Michal Zalewski wrote:

Nah, it's more likely an ancient Sendmail vulnerability found by me (see
BUGTRAQ archives) with extremely long EHLO / HELO parameter; it allows
attacker to hide his hostname and IP in SMTP headers (it has been fixed in
8.8.8, I think, and this log message has been introduced).

It's a "feature" used by some common mail bombing programs,
eg. njordbomb. Check if anyone tried to use your server as a relay for his
revenge.

--
MichaƂ Nazarewicz / Career Online, DK Group