Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: HELO/EHLP attack?.

From: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () DIONE IDS PL>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 18:59:39 +0200

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Ryan Yagatich wrote:

don't quote me on this but, it looks to me like someone had just connected
to the SMTP daemon and just initialized the connection, and then killed it
right after. was there anything else in the logs before/after? (like
commands that were issued etc...) if not, set your log level up a bit to
grab more information and see.

Nah, it's more likely an ancient Sendmail vulnerability found by me (see
BUGTRAQ archives) with extremely long EHLO / HELO parameter; it allows
attacker to hide his hostname and IP in SMTP headers (it has been fixed in
8.8.8, I think, and this log message has been introduced).

Possibly spammers.

Michal Zalewski [lcamtuf () tpi pl] [tp.internet/security]
[http://lcamtuf.na.export.pl] <=--=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};:
=-----=> God is real, unless declared integer. <=-----=