Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Honeynet installation

From: "Stejerean, Cosmin" <cosmin () cti depaul edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 14:01:17 -0600

A honeynet is a network of honeypots. The honeywall works like a specialized firewall + logging facility. It can limit
the damage that an attacker can do to the outside world once a honeypot is compromised and log information from Sebek,
etc and display all of this to you so you can get a nice centralized view of all relevant information. So yes, the
honeywall is only half of the honeynet, the other half are the actual honeypots. You can setup the honeypots in a VM on
the same machine (hybrid setup), on another machine (which will then connect to eth1 on your honeywall) or on multiple
machines (old PIIs or PIIIs) that will then connect to a switch (and the uplink of the switch will go to eth1).

Setting up the honeypots in VM doesn't require as much space and processing power as people think because the sole
purpose of these machines are to be attacked (ie. they don't need a lot of space of RAM). You can get by with offering
the minimum amount of space and ram for each OS you install.

Hope this helps you get started.

Regards,

Cosmin Stejerean