Honeypots mailing list archives

Honeynet installation

From: wiz561 () hotmail com
Date: 5 Jan 2006 18:32:31 -0000

Hi!

   I'm just starting out with they honeynet cd and trying to fiddle around with it.  I read through a bunch of the KYE
docs up on the web site and most of the docs on roo.  However, I'm not really catching onto how you would setup the
network topology.  I'm getting confused because it sounds like honeynet is only half of the program.  The other half is
running multiple OS's on your system using vmware.  I have a hard time believing this though because of how much disk
space you would need and processing power.

   My question is how do you get started with honeynets?  How do you setup the networking?  Can you use just one
machine running honeynet and have three physical NIC's in the machine?  Does eth0 connect to the internet and have a
routable address?  What does eth1 connect to?  I figured out eth2 is the admin interface.

    Any help is appreciated.  I'm just starting to get a little frustrated because I don't quite understand how the
topology is setup.  Also, many of the images on the honeynet site (IE: figure A) do not have a legend on what's
physical and virtual....if anything.  Again, I just think I need a kick in the back to get started!  Thanks for any
help.