Honeypots mailing list archives

Introducing the Tactical Honeynet Deployment Project

From: "Michael Anuzis" <michael_anuzis () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:32:10 -0400

Dear honeynet community,
This e-mail is to inform anyone interested of the establishment of the Tactical Honeynet Deployment Project ( http://www.thdp.org ).

Currently there are several honeynet and honeypot projects in existance and I think everyone would agree with me if I said: "it seems like the last thing the honeynet research community needs is another project doing the same old thing..." but at the same time I think we can each agree honeynet research has been struggling as of late. Something has been missing. Script-kids are the only ones getting "caught", or "biting the bait" so to speak. The Tactical Honeynet Deployment Project, with a complete focus on the concepts of deception, psychology, and control, hopes to transform the honeypot from a tool hacked only by neophyte script-kids, to a more advanced system of deployment that will be capable of studying the more sophisticated class of blackhats.

As of now, our project is just being established and we have very few members. For this reason, if you have been in the study of honeynet research for a while and are ready to take your honeynet designs to the next level, we would be interested in sharing your insights in our project's pages.

If our project's website (available at http://www.thdp.org) sounds like something you would be interested in participating in, it would be a great opportunity for us to work together in making today's limited honeynet implementations into something more.

Regards,

Michael Anuzis, CCNA
Network Security Consultant
Mobile: 248.376.7030