Honeypots mailing list archives

Scans are way up, attacks are down??

From: "John C. Silvia" <john () cadamier com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:29:06 -0700

I was going over my stats recently and noticed an interesting trend since
these all of these worms hit.  It appears that scan's are way up (not
surprising considering how blaster.d spreads itself), but attacks appear to
be down a bit as well.

The PDF attached shows scans and attacks (tcp connection attempts after
being baited) against the networks I protect, from 8/1 - 8/25.  This pdf was
generated from a network of ActiveScouts, FYI.

Is this trend normal after a massive outbreak?

Does this mean BOFH's stop hacking then they're infected??

Is anyone seeing a similar trend, or is it just me?

Cheers.