Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Scans are way up, attacks are down??

From: Chris Paul <chris.paul () rexconsulting net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:50:19 -0700

Need more info from you:

Which RBL?
Who's putting the X-RBL-Warning? (Sendmail or Exim)?

You see, I don't use these RBLs directly. I use a hybrid of SA (which calls RBL's and other sources for scoring) in
combination with grey-listing.

Very effective.

Anyhow, to answer your one question re home-spammers, yes there is specifically one RBL (the DUN) and that is precisely
"Dial-Up Networking" users, or as I called them, "home spammers", reasoning these are jerks who bought some software
that they use from home to spam from their dial-up ISP accounts.

Of course, back to my original point, to correct myself a little, it really isn't known if home users got hit more or
less than corporate/large organization. Because non-home networks as we all know got hit bad by this recent rash of
various worms well indeed.

CP

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:58:12 +0100