Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Scans are way up, attacks are down??

From: "lsi" <stuart () cyberdelix net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:45:42 +0100

John,

What I noticed is that as the SoBig virus went up, the number of spams I received went down.

See chart here: http://cyberdelix.net/media/spamtrak.gif

The lowest dip is August 15, 3 days before Sobig.

Does this mean BOFH's stop spamming because they are configuring their viruses???

Is anyone seeing a similar trend, or is it just me?

I heard rumours about Sobig being a spammer-friendly virus.  The chart seems to support this.

A few more Sobig comments are here:
http://cyberdelix.net/opinions/damages2.htm

Stuart