Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Does it really take so long to get a bite?

From: Brian Hatch <honeypots () ifokr org>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 20:48:12 -0800

What about Sparc hackers? Do they exist? I ran a Sparcstation honeypot
for awhile and had the odd x86 exploit thrown at it but never
compromised. I have heard stories of Sparc honeypots up for years w/o
being hacked.

I can only speak for myself, but I had a sparc running vulnerable
wu-ftpd and other services I can't remember currently, and it didn't
get compromised for the 1.5 years I had it running.  Lots of attacks,
clearly not os or arch specific, but none tailored for sparc.  I took
it off the net about 6 months ago when I moved ISPs.

--
Brian Hatch                  "Excuse me, where I come from,
   Systems and                one man from three leaves two."

Every message PGP signed