Honeypots mailing list archives

Does it really take so long to get a bite?

From: marc <marc () zounds net>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 11:52:54 -0600 (CST)

We set up a honeynet two weeks ago.  So that its not too simple (didnt
want to just capture the first script kiddy), the only vulnerability on it
is an old openssh.

Watching the logs, the chkrootkit, the ids, the network traffic, etc, show
us nothing!  lots and LOTS of scans, mostly for nbname.

How long does it take to get a hit?  Previous reading and anecdotes said
that some boxes are compromised within 15 mins of being hooked up to the
network.

marc

"Bush should take up t'ai chi. He'd be a lot more relaxed and not so
invady."

- www.theonion.com

        *** ATTENTION CHRISTMAS SHOPPERS ***

To assist your xmas shopping, i now present (heh) marc's gift list:

        nothing

Please by me nothing for xmas.  If i cant convince you of that, make a
donation in my name to http://www.epic.org/ .  Or wrap an empty box and
fill it with love (love can be inserted into wrapped presents using a
syringe).  At the very least, dont spend more than two dollars (velcro,
potato chips, etc).  C'mon, you know im not appreciative anyway.