Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Does it really take so long to get a bite?

From: marc <marc () zounds net>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:29:36 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Anton A. Chuvakin wrote:

And it got me thinking again of how it might depend upon the IP address.
Would it not make sense to try to compare scans for the same service for
various honeypots running on different IPs?  The question is how to make
the comparison without disclosing the honeypot IP address?

        thats a good idea.  but it depends on how the -hackers- label the
different ip ranges.  this seems like information that should be gleened
from them, they must have lists of ips and ip ranges broken down by dialup
users/ dsl/ businesses/ schools/ etc.  perhaps some of these lists are
posted, or have been recovered from a compromised system?

marc bayerkohler
GCIA

Best, > --
  Anton A. Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCIA
     http://www.chuvakin.org
   http://www.info-secure.org

"Bush should take up t'ai chi. He'd be a lot more relaxed and not so
invady."

- www.theonion.com

        *** ATTENTION CHRISTMAS SHOPPERS ***

To assist your xmas shopping, i now present (heh) marc's gift list:

        nothing

Please by me nothing for xmas.  If i cant convince you of that, make a
donation in my name to http://www.epic.org/ .  Or wrap an empty box and
fill it with love (love can be inserted into wrapped presents using a
syringe).  At the very least, dont spend more than two dollars (velcro,
potato chips, etc).  C'mon, you know im not appreciative anyway.