Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Does it really take so long to get a bite?

From: "Andrew Hintz \(Drew\)" <drew () overt org>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 11:25:54 -0600

We set up a honeynet two weeks ago.  So that its not too simple (didnt
want to just capture the first script kiddy), the only vulnerability on it
is an old openssh.

The 15 minute captures are probably from script kiddies and worms.

How long does it take to get a hit?  Previous reading and anecdotes said
that some boxes are compromised within 15 mins of being hooked up to the
network.

The quickest I've seen is 4 minutes.  It was against a wide-open IIS box.
In general, the less secure your honeypot is the shorter it'll be before
you're compromised.  However if your honeypot is more secure, then you'll
see more interesting compromises.

--
^Drew

http://guh.nu

--Begin PGP Fingerprint--
3C6C F712 0A52 BD33 C518  5798 9014 CA99 2DA0 5E78
--End PGP Fingerprint--