funsec mailing list archives

Re: Petraeus

From: David M Chess <chess () us ibm com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 10:37:48 -0500

Oh, c'mon, we are security people!  :)

One of the big requirements of having any clearance at all, much less
whatever DCI requires, is that you not be too easy a blackmail target.
Secret extramarital affair?  Bad idea!

Also he used horribly bad opsec.  Pseudonymous gmail account used from
official gear, rofls.

He must have known, as he was having the fling, that if it came out, he
would be toast.  Probably added to the thrill.  :)  And if he was passing
her things in pillowtalk or otherwise that she had no need to know, as
appears from some of the stories, that's really over the top.

I think we do, and should, hold a CIA director to a higher standard in
some areas than we would hold some other gov't official.  And the same for
other gov't officials, in their respective areas...

DC