funsec mailing list archives

Re: Petraeus

From: Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:25:23 -0800

See also:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/11/gmail-location-data-petraeus/

- ferg

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM, phester <funsec () armorfirewall com> wrote:

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

Upon further review...and since this is *funsec*, I'd like to ask a
few rhetorical security questions about this.  I'm sure there are
more that haven't occurred to me yet.

1. How is it that the Director of the CIA does not know how to use
email (relatively) securely?   Did he really compose unencrypted messages
to his paramour using CIA computers on the CIA network and send them
via CIA mail servers?  Really?  REALLY?

He used gmail, from cia gear. Thousands of mails over a period of months.

4. If the internal mechanisms of government aren't sufficient to (quickly)
catch a very very senior person having an affair -- and doing it
incompetently -- then why should we believe that they're sufficient to
catch a well-trained, careful, diligent spy?

By reading their personal mails? Should this be done by an algorithm, or
live person?

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawgster(at)gmail.com