funsec mailing list archives

Re: dumb. Comcast pop-ups

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 12:42:04 -0400

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 12:05:24PM -0400, Jon Kibler wrote:
A *much* smarter move on Comcast's part would be to simply null route any
suspected infected computer until it is cleaned up.

Absolutely.  Infected systems should be walled off *in toto* (not in part,
as some on NANOG have recently suggested, not grasping the true nature
of the problem) until they're fixed.

Yes, that would put a
greater load on Comcast's support staff, but maybe they could do it smarter --
like limit access to only the Comcast and legit AV vendor's web sites. Not a
100% cure, but I would think it would create less problems than pop-ups that get
ignored and spawn rogue pop-ups that create even more malware infection.

I'm with this as far as it goes.   (And I certainly agree that sending
pop-ups is off-the-scale idiotic.)

But...the first improvement I'd make to this would be to gain agreement
from those AV vendors to host mirrors of their sites inside my own walled
garden so that no external traffic at all is permitted.  Surely an entity
the enormous financial resources of Comcast could make this happen,
and surely it would be in the interest of AV vendors to collaborate.

The second would be to dispense with this approach entirely: too many
people, in fact, I'd say *most* people, labor under the delusion that it's
possible to boot a known-infected system off known-infected media and get
the desired outcome.  But Comcast won't even attempt this, because the
accompanying support costs would cut into their massive profits.

Let us also not forget that Comcast is *finally* taking this first,
bumbling, feeble step most of a decade after the problem was very
well-known among the clueful portions of the community.  Any competent
organization would have acted within days, at most, even if that action
was being scripted on-the-fly.  (Compare/contrast with the speed and
efficiency of the response to 11/2-3/1988.)

---Rsk