funsec mailing list archives

Re: Public Policy and Consumer ISP Hygiene (was Comcast pop-ups)

From: Michael Collins <mcollins () aleae com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:00:57 -0400

On Oct 13, 2009, at 9:02 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 23:31:08 CDT, Dan White said:

1) Educating users on proper use of anti-virus and anti-malware
tools - and
being ADHD about installing OS updates.

No, you *don't* want them being ADHD about OS updates. You want them
to be obsessive-compulsive about it.  Somebody wit OCD will be going
back and checking "Am I patched? Did I patch in the last hour? I
better
check again to be sure".  Somebody with ADHD will end up visiting
http://windowsupdate.microsohlookachicken.com

Patching isn't a magic solution, much as I wish it was.  As we've
mentioned already in this thread, there are folks who are required by
law to patch their systems back to vulnerable levels.  Of course, this
also assumes that the patch works...  The other problem with this,
really, is that user education operates as a selection process for
attackers.  Just like malware has gotten more sophisticated, the cons
are getting more psychologically sophisticated as well.

The other problem, here, is that it assumes that attacks are
necessarily vul-based (or, more precisely os-vul based).  Droppers
don't have to be, and the most common ssh attacks we see are all
password-list based.

3) Doing what we can to develop and increase our participation in a
public
key infrastructure and IPSEC.

Unfortunately, most of the problems we have would *not* be fixed
with more
crypto and IPSEC (with the exception of closing down unencrypted
wireless and
making the standard there WPA2 or a better follow-on).  I mean,
*seriously*,
how often do you hear of successful sniffing attacks on copper or
fiber,
compared to the number of attacks where a keystroke logger or
website hack
got the unencrypted goods at the endpoint?

This is, of course, the great achievement of cryptography (as long as
you ignore the whole we're-not-really-sure-it-works problem).  It's so
well defined that no attacker bothers hitting a cryptosystem.

You want to fix something - come up with a good way to enhance the
trust for
websites that load from multiple places.  Go read Schneier's
"Secrets and Lies",
he has a good chapter on SSL snake oil, but to sum it up with a re-
quote
of an example from yesterday:

If I'm on msnbc.msn.com, and click a link that takes me to
discovery.com,
what reason does my browser have to trust the Flash content that gets
loaded from mstories.vo.llnwd.net?  (Hint - your scheme has to work
even
if discovery.com is compromised - if the hacker can change the link,
there's
a good chance that if you depend on a digital signature of the page
containing
the link, he can re-sign the page as well.  Probably not for
discovery.com,
which likely has separate devel and prod machines and the signing
can happen
on the devel boxes - but there's a *lot* of "update in place"
websites that
would almost certainly have the signing keys on the webserver.  Bad
idea,
I know, but it's gonna happen.

Heh, we're cycling back to the eternal problem here - as security
people, our fundamental job is to ruin performance for everyone else.
CDN's do depend on nasty DNS hacking.

Mike Collins
mcollins () aleae com