funsec mailing list archives

Re: dumb. Comcast pop-ups

From: Jim Murray <jim () digitaldaemons co uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:27:40 +0100

Michael Collins wrote:
Heh,

One of the fun exercises I like to spring on people is to play out the
following scenario: assume you've got an embedded system of some kind
being controlled by a windows 3.1 box.  Let's say it's doing something
like wrapping candybars or stamping plaques or wahtever, it's
piecework payment.  The machine gets 0wned, and while it's not doing
anything that's impacting you personally, it's contributing a couple
of kb/s to spamming or ddosing or other fun things.  Is it in your
interest to sacrifice the day, and the consequent profits involved in
fixing your box, to solve the problem or better to just let it run?

My first question has to be 'What is such a device doing connected to
the public internet in the first place?'. If it really MUST be connected
 then it should be properly protected. If you they don't do that and get
0wned then you deserve the costs and inconvenience of cleaning up the
mess you made, it's a safe bet you'll be more careful in future.

The problem was given a more concrete example by a colleague who
pointed out that most medical hardware running on windows boxes is not
only certified for windows only, but specific *patchlevels*, and that
consequently these machines can get restored, taken down, reinstalled,
and put back on the net with known vulnerabilities because their
software is certified with vulnerabilities intact.

If I were to find any critical piece of medical hardware connected to
the public internet it'd be very concerned indeed. Surely best practice
dictates that clinical networks are kept isolated from the
administrative networks & public internet?

Jim.

--
      DigitalDaemons IT Services.