funsec mailing list archives

Re: dumb. Comcast pop-ups

From: <Toralv_Dirro () McAfee com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 17:59:40 -0500

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 12:05:24PM -0400, Jon Kibler wrote:
A *much* smarter move on Comcast's part would be to simply
null route
any suspected infected computer until it is cleaned up.

Absolutely.  Infected systems should be walled off *in toto*
(not in part, as some on NANOG have recently suggested, not
grasping the true nature of the problem) until they're fixed.

And prevent their customers from some activity on the internet that may be extremely urgent and important? As much as I
would prefer such an approach personally, I'm afraid this is not a realistic option in the real world.

Let us also not forget that Comcast is *finally* taking this
first, bumbling, feeble step most of a decade after the
problem was very well-known among the clueful portions of the
community.  Any competent organization would have acted
within days, at most, even if that action was being scripted
on-the-fly.  (Compare/contrast with the speed and efficiency
of the response to 11/2-3/1988.)

And I'm sure they are open to suggestion how to solve this with the least negative impact on them and their customers.

cheers,
Toralv

Firmensitz:     Muenchen
Amtsgericht:     AG Muenchen
Handelsregister:   HRB 144340
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Emmet Russell, Keith Krzeminski, Douglas Rice
Bankverbindung:   ABN-Amro Bank N.V. Konto 671 211 9006
UST-ID:   DE168122444