funsec mailing list archives

Re: Public Policy and Consumer ISP Hygiene (was Comcastpop-ups)

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 15:03:24 -0400 (EDT)

I now fear that it will take the collapse of the current Internet
governance structure to do any good; fixing it is looking less and
less likely - less likely for every day that passes with total
apparent inaction (total lack of effect, that is, as far as I can
see) by the current top of the pyramid.
By the top of the pyramid, do you mean IETF or Tier-1 transits?  Or
large ISPs?

All of the above are examples of failures of self-assumed
responsibility.  Of those, the closest to what I meant was the IETF,
but, as I understand the structure, the IANA or IAB would be more like
what I meant.

I don't really know the structure of the top of the pyramid.  My
impression is that the IANA and/or IAB would have to be the entity to
impose responsibility when it delegates authority, but ICBW - whom is
it the RIRs and domain registrars contract with to get their authority?
That's who needs to start imposing responsibility along with authority
(and enforcing it, since the delegees don't seem to be accepting it).

How that happens is an open question.  I don't really expect it to
happen at all, honestly, but it could happen if the IANA (or whoever)
decides that a functioning net is more important than short-term
profit.  But I suppose, with the USA Department of Commerce (I think
that's who it was) setting themselves up as the next step up,
"functioning" probably _means_ "producing short-term profit".

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org