funsec mailing list archives

Re: Hello. I live in Salem, and I believe in witches.

From: chris () blask org
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 14:20:27 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 9/10/09, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

I guess they have to make decisions like that all the
time.

The thing is, the doctors and family (and aunt, if she was cognizant) likely made that decision based on what they
thought was best for her.  Unless there was an NHS government stooge insisting that 'the old bat's going to die anyway,
don't waste the expensive drugs on her' the story does not support the Deathers' supposition.

In addition, every healthcare treatment has a cost, and
funds are not  infinite, so care has to be allocated somehow (although it
you have money, you can pay for it yourself).

This is one of the beefs I have with the Canadian system - you can't buy more under any circumstances (adamantly Single
Tier).  The idea, as I understand it, is that wealth is Evil and if anyone has more of something than anyone else then
Baby Jesus cries.  Aside from that (and a few other things) they have a good system with a complete lack of Death
Panels, at least evidenced by the fact that last time I lived there my 94-year-old neighbor (or neighbour) was offered
knee replacements.

-chris