funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:02:51 -0400

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:12:41 PDT, "Paul M. Moriarty" said:
Works fine with TweetDeck, the app I use.

As I pointed out - it's being done by something else, not by Twitter itself.
So saying "twitter does it automagically" is being disingenuous.

Out in the commercial world, saying "IT DOES THIS AUTOMATICALLY (with the
addition of a 3rd party feature)" would be uncomfortably close to bait-n-switch./

There's a big distinction between saying 'Twitter does this for you' and
saying "if it's a concern, you can find a front-end that will do it for you".

Also, your example URL has been artifically lengthened by 36 chars,
but you knew that and are just making a point, I'm sure.

Further testing indicates that the web interface *will* auto-tinyURL one of
exactly 140 characters, but not 141.