funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:47:31 +1300

Gadi to Rob Slade to me:

Seriously though -- isn't it hideous not even being able to enter a
decent URL?

Yeah, but TinyURL stock is going through the roof ...

The statement above shows he simply has no understanding ow how twitter
works.

On twitter, you enter a URL and it is automagically converted to a small
url of some kind.

And that was exactly my point.

Maybe I should have said "use" rather than "enter" but either way someone
will misunderstand...

If your content contains a URL (likely), you have little to no control
over a rather important aspect of how that content will actually appear.

Further, widespread use of such URL-shortening services is very short-
sighted, but encouraging or even blindly training a generation of tinyurl
click monkeys sounds like "job security" to me...

Maybe that's why you're so keen on it?    8-)

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald