funsec mailing list archives

Re: Apparently Milgram is still right

From: "Alex Eckelberry" <AlexE () sunbelt-software com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 20:58:11 -0500

True, and there is a point of ethics vs. morals.  But in the end,
there's a line that, IMHO, shouldn't be crossed.

Besides, at a purely ethical level, torture is a low-quality
interrogation technique.  It's overrated in its effectiveness, and
creates boomerang effects which don't benefit an overall cause.

Nevertheless, even arguing torture at a logical level is difficult for
me.  It's just reprehensible, not because of some pacificist ideology:
Because beating the living shit out of someone for information brings us
to the level of animals, and that's what we've been trying to evolve
from for a very long time.

Something Matthew Alexander spoke and wrote of recently:

http://snipurl.com/8wosv

Alex