funsec mailing list archives

RE: Never forget...

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:16:55 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Charles PICKENS wrote:
Et puis...

I stick my toe into the sand and find a few heads buried therein.

Security is managing risk. Risks are both "perceived risks" and "measurable risks".
Risk Management is how risks are dealt with and at what level.
Residual Risk is what risk you are willing to accept.
Risk Mitigation is how you go about managing those risks.

In some scenarios: Gun = tool for managing risks:

Brian wants to have the ability to manage risks "hands-on" (pun not intended).
DrSolly would like his risks managed externally.
Gadi has had hands-on risk management in the past but now has opted for a "mixed solution".

Brilliant! :)

Brian flames.
Silly burns.
Gadi fires.