funsec mailing list archives

Re: wow - is a "shadow" politician still a politician?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:43:55 -0800

Date sent:              Tue, 28 Aug 2007 21:09:03 -0500
From:                   Black Ops Security <x () blackopssec com>

For example, anybody who is 18
yo in the US (and not a convicted felon) [1] can buy a .50BMG "sniper rifle"
that is capable of accurate kills out to distances of 7+ kilometers.

I think you might want to check that: while a .50 round can easily be sent 7+ km,
as far as I know the greatest distance for a confirmed sniping kill is just over 2 km
(and was done by a Canadian, as it happened).

Oddly, the number of crimes
perpetrated with .50BMG rifles, in the entire history of the US, is less
than the number of people beaten to death with fists and sticks in the
UK in one month.

Yes, but a .50 rifle can also be used to beat people to death.

[1] Hmmmm.  Given the other thread about prison populations, doesn't that
restrict the target purchasing audiencce?

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Work out what you want to say before you decide how you want to
say it.         - Christopher Strachey's First Law of Logical Design
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm