funsec mailing list archives

Re: wow - is a "shadow" politician still a politician?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:31:52 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, Black Ops Security wrote:

 > Drsolly drsollyp at drsolly.com
 > Tue Aug 28 19:36:50 CDT 2007
 >
 > You need more powerful guns, not just more guns. When everyone in the
 > USA is walking around carrying their own AK-47, then (after the
 > initial surge in murders), the depopulated USA will have a much lower
 > murder rate.

Ironically, the AK-47 is not a very powerful gun, and is nowhere near as

Yes, but you can put a lot of bullets into a lot of people very quickly,
and that's what will bring your murder rate way down, after a bit of a
surge upwards, of course.

powerful as the typical "big game hunting rifle".  And in the US, MUCH
more powerful weapons can be purchased.  For example, anybody who is 18
yo in the US (and not a convicted felon) can buy a .50BMG "sniper rifle"
that is capable of accurate kills out to distances of 7+ kilometers.
Hell, for the .50BMG, _anybody_ in the US can buy AP (Armor Piercing),
API (Armor Piercing Incendiary), and SLAP (Saboted Light Armor
Penetrator) ammo.  We can get it at the local gun shop, and can even buy
it online.  Some of that .50BMG ammo can easily penetrate armored
trucks, shoot down airplanes, etc.  Oddly, the number of crimes
perpetrated with .50BMG rifles, in the entire history of the US, is less
than the number of people beaten to death with fists and sticks in the
UK in one month.

But yet, gun control advocates in the US now want to ban the .50BMG.
More children die every day in the US in swimming pool accidents than
the number of people who have EVER been killed in the US by .50BMG
rifles, and yet nobody here is interested in even suggesting that
swimming pool owners be more responsible.