funsec mailing list archives

Re: Where's Waldo? (challenge)

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 01:14:00 -0400 (EDT)

    You and a friend play "Where's Waldo?". You solve the puzzle before
    your friend, and you want to prove to your friend you solved the
    puzzle, without giving him any hints. How do you do this?"

I don't think I do.  I don't think this is possible without introducing
third parties, or a rather severely nontraditional form of "Where's
Waldo?".  Everything I can think of can be spoofed, such as with an
auxiliary picture of Waldo....

The closest I think I can come is to give him a data blob with which I
can "prove" that, when I generated it, I knew the answer - but to do so
I have to reveal the answer (if he doesn't already know it).

http://www.algorithm.co.il/blogs/index.php/math/where-is-waldo-or-security-by-origami/
http://www.algorithm.co.il/blogs/
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/917

I don't see anything there that allows you to demonstrate that you know
the answer to someone who doesn't know the answer, without revealing at
least part of the answer.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca