funsec mailing list archives

Re: Spam King arrested

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 01:21:44 -0400

On 6/1/07, Steve Manzuik <smanzuik () juniper net> wrote:
> This arrest is all well and good, but the spam keeps coming.
>
> I wonder why that is [highly loaded question]? ;-)

I think the obvious answer here is because spam is too profitable.
Arrest someone and there is a lineup of people waiting to take his or
her place.  The only way to really solve the spam problem is to figure
out a way to remove the financial gain involved in it.

So we have tried going after the spammers to no avail..

.. how about we try going after the advertisers?

or are they untouchable?

The way I see it, if I buy a 50 dollar Rolex, (and it's authentic)
then I will go to jail for receiving stolen goods (if I get caught).
If an advertiser only pays 50 bucks a month for 1,000,000 emails they
are no better than I for buying a purloined watch, and should be just
as liable..

-JP