funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Social Security Card to be National ID?

From: "Randy Abrams" <abrams () eset com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:38:59 -0700

From: C Q [mailto:kyle.c.quest () gmail com]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 3:28 PM
To: Randy Abrams
Cc: privacy () whitestar linuxbox org
Subject: Re: [privacy] Social Security Card to be National ID?

I was talking just about the manual labor jobs. This is what H2A and
H2B are for.
Those two types of visas are completely separate from H1B visa, which
deals with
skilled workers. Yes, H1B visas disappear almost instantly, but I
wasn't talking about
that. And the limits on H2A and H2B haven't been reached this year.
Somewhere I even
heard that there's no limit on H2A visas at all (I can't confirm it
though right now),
which means that if indeed there's nobody wanting to pick those
strawberries an employer
can try to get H2A visas to get legal workers from Mexico, but that's
not gonna happen
in most cases. It makes no sense to them... because why go through all
that trouble
and then pay a decent wage when you can get a bunch of illegals who
are already
here and the best thing about that is that you are not governed by law
to properly compensate
them, so you get to pay them as little as you can.

OK, so we have the laws and enforcement is the issue. National ID cards,
for which this whole debate is a red herring, are not enforcement. And
yes, I was thinking of the H1 series.

Social Security is really cool. My wallet got stolen years ago with my
card in it. I got a letter from the IRS about unclaimed wages at a
Safeway market. I explained the situation to the IRS's satisfaction, but
the fact remains that someone was paying into my social security. One
illegal, one American's retirement. See, they are quite good for us
legal workers. What an effective tool an Social Security card is for
National ID!

Manual labor and skilled labor are too different things... and they
are handled by different types
of visas. I recommend reading about that a bit :-)

Will do next time I have trouble sleeping :)

Cheers,

Randy