funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Social Security Card to be National ID?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 15:15:18 -0400

On Wed, 23 May 2007 12:55:27 CDT, Brian Loe said:

Stormtroopers invade poultry farm looking for forged documents - come
up empty handed,   but for the stolen documents.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070523/D8P9SRB00.html

"Federal immigration agents raided a poultry plant Tuesday morning and arrested
more than 100 workers who are believed to be illegal immigrants."

"There are an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S."

So we've swatted some 0.000833% of the illegal immigrant problem, and the
article doesn't say anything about what percent of the "illegal immigrant
papers" problem this represents, nor what percent of the bigger identity
theft problem it is.

You cite one incident, I'll cite the TJ Maxx incident and say that's 100
versus 47 million, so illegal aliens are 0.000212% of the problem.

(Yes, that's invalid statistics - but I'm not the one who's trying to conflate
illegal aliens and identity theft without showing there's significant linkage.
Even given the premise "Most B engage in A", that doesn't prove that most A
is because of B, unless you can *also* show a lack of non-B causes of A...