funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK: Drivers may be banned from smoking at the wheel

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 09:17:57 +1200

The "modern caveman", Brian Loe wrote:

I'm so very sorry that you have such trouble with the English
language, but here again is what I said, as you quoted it:
Your rights end at the tip of my nose.

Now what rights am I willing to give up again? After all, any that
would do you harm are not rights to begin with, as I stated clearly in
this oft quoted sentence.

Here's an example I might give one of my children (who didn't take
nearly this long to pick up the concept, btw): I have the right to
travel. I do not, however, have the right to travel through someone
else's property - possibly causing them financial damage.

I have the right to do what ever the hell I like in my car while
driving UNTIL I do you damage. Once I have damaged you, you and the
society I live in have the power to make me pay for it in any
reasonable and humane way.

Yet you defend -- nay, are aggressively in the favour of -- what you
claim is your right to use possibly fatal force to defend yourself if
you perceive your life, or that of various others more or less closely
associated with you (be that familial or possibly even just
geographical) is "endangered".

Thus, your position of your right to "drink and drive" is an excellent
development.

By applying other of your caveman ethics, that means the rest of us
have the right to shoot you, possibly fatally, while you are drink-
driving, as we perceive such actions on your part as an imminent threat
to our lives or the lives of those around us.

Anyone want to go stake out Brian's street for his next drink-driving
episode?  The ethicist in him will thank you for killing him...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald