funsec mailing list archives

RE: UK: Drivers may be banned from smoking at the wheel

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 10:20:04 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 13 May 2007, David Harley wrote:

Wow. The UK really _is_ The Nanny State. :-)

Indeed. We also suffer such affronts to the freedom of the individual as
speed limits, monitoring alcohol intake, one-way streets and insistence on
taking driving tests.

Leaving aside issues like the distracting effects of lighting cigarettes and
30-second coughing fits, I'd be fascinated to know what rational
justification (apart from the tobacco industry's right to profit, the
government's to tax, and the individual's right to self harm) for legalizing
this particular addiction at all.

Same justification as for legalising cannabis, cocaine and heroin.

(No, I don't smoke, but I used to, and I didn't understand it then, either.)

It's easy for me, I never started, couldn't see the point.