funsec mailing list archives

Re: Student arrested over Counter Strike map

From: rms () computerbytesman com
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 16:06:29 -0400 (EDT)

Do you mean this John Lott:  http://www.whoismaryrosh.com/

Richard

On 5/7/07, Richard M. Smith <rms () computerbytesman com> wrote:
Hmm, this chart doesn't seem very useful to me.  If I'm murdered, do I
really care what kind of weapon was used to commit the crime?

I certainly wouldn't - but that's the search I chose.

The more interesting statistics are the number of murders per 100,000
people.  Does your source have this chart that you can send along?

Visit the site, it has a nice interface and you'll be downloading csv
files to your hearts content.

The interesting comparison is to then compare gun ownership rates per
100,000 people in states vs. their gun murder rates per 100,000.  I
suspect
however that reliable statistics for gun ownership rates are hard to
come
by.  Maybe legal gun sales per 100,000 could be a more reliable proxy.

This has been done by many notable folks - though I have to recommend
anything done by John Lott. I don't recommend him because he is a gun
owner (he is now, but he wasn't always) but because he's absolutely a
nice guy who wanted to find the honest answers to the gun questions.
I've met him on several occasions. A complete nerd. A complete numbers
guy. A complete economist. Not a guy anyone wants to debate.