funsec mailing list archives

RE: FW: Windows Live and Privacy

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 23:40:05 -0500

WikiPedia is our friend:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work

Here's also a bit of background on obtaining a U.S. copyright on an artwork
like a painting or statue:

   http://www.copyright.gov/register/visual.html

And how a photograph can infringe the copyright of artwork:

http://www.the-artists.org/exh/art-copyright.cfm

Who holds copyright in an image depicting fine art?

As a photographer might hold copyright in the images they provide to us, so
too would an artist hold copyright on created works of art pictured in a
photograph. Corbis can provide images of artwork, but we do not hold
copyright on the art depicted within and we cannot provide clearance. It is
the client's responsibility to obtain copyright clearance from the artist
and to pay any fees associated with usage. When possible, we will assist you
in seeking clearance but ultimate responsibility falls with you the client.

Richard