funsec mailing list archives

Re: Did the South Portland Maine police overreact or not?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 08:46:45 -0600

On 11/1/06, Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:
> OK, so carrying a firearm is legal, but brandishing it isn't. OK, got it
> now.
>
> Brandishing is when you wave something, right? So you're allowed to carry
> firearms, but you mustn't wave them.

I never got that either,

As long as its not concealed, arent you allowed to walk around with a gun?

Constitutionally or legally? By law, it depends. Some jurisdictions
have laws against open carry - some don't. Either way, carrying openly
is not brandishing. Proper use of a firearm does not include waving it
around.

As for your last statement, I believe the count is now something like
47 states that have concealed carry laws in place, allowing citizens
to carry their firearms concealed.