funsec mailing list archives

Re: Did the South Portland Maine police overreact or not?

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:00:55 -0500

On 11/2/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Brian Loe wrote:

> On 11/2/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
> > >   Yes, brandishing is along the lines of "showing in a threateningly
> > > manor".  Leaves an awful lot to interpretation....
> >
> > If "threatening manner" is the criterion, then I'd say that anyone openly
> > carrying a gun is showing it in a threatening manner. Isn't that the whole
> > point of openly carrying?
>
> To you it might be threatening, but a reasonable adult wouldn't be
> threatened at all. Considering every cop in the states carries openly
> it is pretty common,

I thought we were talking about citizens, not cops.

> besides the fact that those aforementioned
> rational adults would understand the difference between a gun in a
> holster and gun in your face....

I would find it very threatening

Hey solly,

I can clear this up pretty quickly,

you are confusing feeling threatened with being threatened.

I know you are probably doing this on purpose, but on the off chance
you arent, I thought I would let you know.

-JP