funsec mailing list archives

RE: Did the South Portland Maine police overreact or not?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 15:14:59 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 Blanchard_Michael () emc com wrote:

 agreed it's weird, and the law varies from state to state.  Some states
have an open carry law with or without permit, some states have a
concealed carry law with or without permit.

 Here in Mass, I am licensed for concealed carry, that is the only way
I'm able to carry a pistol, it cannot be in plain view.  Kentucky you
are allowed to openly carry but not concealed (if memory serves
correctly).

 To me, what would disturb the average person more.  Someone that is
licensed to carry and has a pistol under his jacket in the local mall.
OR someone that is licensed and has a pistol in a "cowboy style" holster
in the local mall?

  Yes, brandishing is along the lines of "showing in a threateningly
manor".  Leaves an awful lot to interpretation....

If "threatening manner" is the criterion, then I'd say that anyone openly
carrying a gun is showing it in a threatening manner. Isn't that the whole
point of openly carrying?