funsec mailing list archives

RE: Did the South Portland Maine police overreact or not?

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:28:42 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Drsolly [mailto:drsollyp () drsolly com]
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 11:31 AM
To: Brian Loe
Cc: Blanchard, Michael (InfoSec); funsec () linuxbox org
Subject: Re: [funsec] Did the South Portland Maine police overreact or
not?

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Brian Loe wrote:

On 11/2/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
  Yes, brandishing is along the lines of "showing in a
threateningly
manor".  Leaves an awful lot to interpretation....

If "threatening manner" is the criterion, then I'd say that anyone
openly
carrying a gun is showing it in a threatening manner. Isn't that the
whole
point of openly carrying?

To you it might be threatening, but a reasonable adult wouldn't be
threatened at all. Considering every cop in the states carries openly
it is pretty common,

I thought we were talking about citizens, not cops.

besides the fact that those aforementioned
rational adults would understand the difference between a gun in a
holster and gun in your face....

I would find it very threatening, and I would vote accordingly on a
jury.
The entire point of carrying a gun openly, is to show that you're armed.

---> as I mentioned before, in some states, that is the ONLY way you're
legally allowed to carry a handgun.  I agree that it's odd, I personally
would much rather have concealed carry, there are many people that
simply see a handgun and think that the person is a bad guy unless
they're in a police uniform.  Or not somuch as think the guy is a bad
guy but feel uneasy due to the sight of the handgun.  I'd rather avoid
that whole "uneasyness" and carry concealed.  Many people I meet have no
idea I'm armed, that's the way I like it, no questions asked, no funny
looks.  If you're forced to openly carry, you get all kinds of funny
looks, etc..