funsec mailing list archives

Re: why Senator Stevens is right on Net Neutrality

From: Dave Dennis <dmd () speakeasy org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 08:22:57 -0700 (PDT)

What happened to the idea that the last-mile was a public resource, and
that in return for equal access, the ILEC's were allowed to monopolize ?

Are we all good with overthrowing this ancient (railroad law based) concept,
and replacing it with if a company has enough capital, it is allowed to
go in and start wiring houses?

Cause if we are, then yay unfettered capitalism.    Lease the backhoes,
we're going digging.

But, if we're not, then the ILEC's have a legal monopoly now, and in return
are still required to share.

Thus, net neutrality.

What is really wrong is that the cable companies were allowed to argue
out of this same concept, not that the ILEC's were ever held to it.

-Dave D