funsec mailing list archives

Re: why Senator Stevens is right on Net Neutrality

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 09:53:33 -0500

If this issue degrades to a free market vs communism debate, then we
have lost the ability to communicate because most have already made up
their mind and are unwilling to change it.

If you think that letting businesses police themselves is a valid
option, then nothing I can say will change your mind. Enjoy your
electric car, secure operating systems, and cancer cures.

I drive a big frickin F-150 and get 17mpg. No electric cars for me. I know
the costs of driving this 6500 pound truck and accept them.

Your statement doesnt make sense as its business PROFIT that get us cures
for cancer, parkinson's, and other maladies. I cannot find anywhere in the
Constitution or other such legislation where its the goverment's role to
ensure that cancer cures are found.

Can you imagine how fast new drugs to treat disease would come to market if
the FDA didnt have such an (extortion) system to approve the drugs? You
wonder why a dose of some drugs costs > $100 pill?  Because it costs the
drug company years of time and millions of dollars to fund mandatory FDA
studies for the drug safety.

Oh, but its in the best interest of the people.. Sure... prohibit a drug
that might save someones life who would certainly die anyway... all because
there may be some side effects..  on a very few people...  the ban on
ephedra is one such laughable effort.(poor example, but evidence of knee
jerk)

Regulation makes sense where public safety and protection clearly
warrant..    requiring a concrete dome over a nuclear reactor is probably a
good regulation. Brakes on cars make sense too.

But all the other life-saving crap that the government mandates in
automobiles just allows another more critical issue to remain. Dumbass
drivers can continue to careen their cars into other vehicles... no
worries.. all the government mandated saftey features will ensure that you
only lose your hearing from the air bag blast. And since insurance has
turned into a socially funded program, everyone will help fund the dumbass
drivers next car.

Regulation that tells a company that the product that they have invested
millions/billions in cant make whatever profit they want will certainly keep
that company from investing another dime in it. At that point, innovation,
creativity are out the door because there is no incentive.

Capping electric/gas/internet/water/etc/etc/etc  prices for consumers is
popular with voters because it serves their interests only.

It is  short-sighted and unsustainable from a market perspective. The
business will go elsewhere or deliver the bare minimum of service that it
can with the reduced profits it makes.

Even China, the hub of world communism, embraces a capitalist type of
economy. It cant help it...