funsec mailing list archives

Re: Spamhaus Ignores U.S. Court?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:50:06 -0400

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:29:31 PDT, Blue Boar said:
Dude VanWinkle wrote:
If a stanford law professor says you are innocent, and the DMCA keeps
you in jail, I would call that definitive proof that cash runs our
legal system.

Well, It's a little worse than that.  Adobe (under public pressure)
withdrew their complaint.  The US Government proceeded with their case,
with no victim.

The single worst part of that whole thing was that it set a precident that
ROT-13 was considered an "effective" protection device.  (And yes, 17 USC 2511
specifically addresses "bypassing an effective copy protection device").

Now you know why companies don't give a flying fuck in a rolling donut that
the DRM they ship is total crap bypassable with a green magic marker - they
can just go after you for using the green magic marker to bypass their crap.

(And yes, I know Skylarov didn't actually set a cite-able legal precident,
but it *did* set a de-facto "rot-13 is good enough to hang a legal case on"
precident when it didn't get laughed out of the courtroom...)